Laura Epstein-Norris is a fine arts and documentary photographer based in the Bay Area. Laura's work has been exhibited and published nationally, and her work can be found in private collections across the country. Her work reflects empathy and intimacy with her subjects, as she captures the small, essential moments in life.
Laura recently returned from a trip to Nairobi, Kenya and Kathmandu, Nepal, which focused on better understanding women's issues and particularly menstrual health in a global context. This work is a natural extension of Laura's earlier work on menstrual health and gender equity, including a photo essay entitled “Blood in the Streets” , which was a staff pick and top 5 essay on Medium and was also syndicated on the front page of the Huffington Post. Laura’s photographs have also been widely used in coverage of advocacy to eliminate the tampon tax. They can be seen in the Ms. Blog “Menstrual Products are Taxed In 40 States”, Ms. Magazine “Periods Gone Public", The Nation “Why are We Paying Sales Tax on Tampons?” and on Bloomberg News, as well as on many social media sites.
Laura’s focus on social justice can also be seen in her photo essay, “My Son is a Felon , which was a staff pick and top 20 read on Medium. She is also working with United Playaz, an organization to prevent gun violence, to create a photo series about the overwhelming use of firearms in the United States.
In addition to her emphasis on social justice, Laura also has an extensive fine arts portfolio, for which she has been recognized as a finalist of Photolucida, among other awards.
Laura has an MFA from the San Francisco Art Institute. She teaches photography at university and high school levels, as well as adult education. In addition to teaching, Laura also does many family portraits, headshots, and engagement shoots.
If you would like more information on her work, Laura can be reached at email@example.com or at (415) 269-9859. Additionally, Laura is available for family portraits, headshots, and engagement shoots.
- Jingletown Art Studios, Oakland, CA September 2017
- Childhood: An International Photo Exhibition 2010-11
- A. Smith Gallery, Johnson City, TX April- May 2011
- River City Silver, San Antonio, TX October 2010
- TCC Photo Gallery, Longview, TX September 2010
- Odessa College, Odessa, TX March 2010
- Dougherty Art Center, Austin, TX January 2010
- The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO Aug-Sept 2009
- Gallery 111, Sausalito, CA, Jan-Feb 2009
- ICB Open Studios, Sausalito, CA Dec. 2008
- Throckmorton Theatre, Mill Valley, CA May-June 2008
- The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO July-Aug 2007
- Houston Center for Photography, Houston, TX, June-July 2007
- Throckmorton Theatre, Mill Valley, CA May-June 2007